In the final days before Election Day, President-elect Donald Trump’s campaign was quick to dismiss a Washington Post report claiming that former President Barack Obama’s White House wiretapped Trump Tower during the 2016 campaign.
“I think there is no evidence of that whatsoever,” Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said during an appearance on Fox News.
In the months leading up to the election, a host of Republican candidates and pundits used the phrase “fake news” to dismiss allegations that the Obama administration was in the pocket of Hillary Clinton and other Democratic Party operatives.
On Friday, the Trump campaign issued a statement that was similar to Conway’s.
“As you can see, the Obama White House is working overtime to smear President Trump and his team in the media.
That is why it’s so important that we hear from the American people in order to see the truth.
As you know, the White House was not involved in the tapping of any phones during the campaign.
We also know that the NSA did not engage in surveillance of the Trump team or anyone associated with the campaign,” the statement read.
Trump himself, meanwhile, said that he did not receive a “telephone tap” at Trump Tower.
But a Washington Times report on Thursday said that “two people briefed on the matter” told the newspaper that Obama’s administration was involved in wiretapping Trump Tower “at least in part.”
“In hindsight, we were all wrong, because what we did was wrong, and we need to be more precise about what we were doing,” Trump said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”
Conway, however, said the claim is “absurd.”
“We had a president-elect, who had been elected, who was a real leader, who he knew had to win, and who had an incredible mandate from the people,” she said.
“It’s really a political football.”
Trump also pointed to reports that the Justice Department is examining the Obama campaign’s emails, but said that it is “premature” to speculate about what they might be looking at.
“There are no emails on that server.
And there were none, at least that I know of,” Trump told MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough.
According to a Washington Examiner report published Thursday, the Justice Dept. is “sitting on” emails from a campaign staffer who was part of the email team during the final weeks of the 2016 election.
The report, citing “people familiar with the matter,” also said that the department was investigating whether the email was hacked by the Russians.
“If that is true, the emails were not hacked by Russia.
The emails were stolen from the Trump Tower server, and they were later sent to the White Houses own campaign,” NBC News reported.
A top Trump aide, meanwhile , also tweeted that the administration is “going to find out who stole the emails.”
In an interview with Fox News’ Tucker Carlson on Friday, Trump adviser Kellyanna Conway also pointedly said that no evidence exists that the Trump transition team had any contact with the Russian government during the presidential election.
“I can’t speak to the Russians and their intentions, but I can tell you that they did not contact anyone associated or associated with Trump during the election.
We’re going to find that out,” she told Carlson.
Concordian’s comments come after Trump himself has been accused of misleading voters on several occasions during the past several months.
During a Fox News interview on Monday, Conway appeared to suggest that Trump could be in danger of being impeached for lying to the American public.
“President Trump’s presidency could end in impeachment.
And I think that is a very, very serious prospect, because that would be an impeachable offense,” Conway said.